HCG diet Phase 2 (P2) is the most important phase of the diet and also the most challenging one! This is the stage where your body loses maximum weight and steady weight loss occurs.
P2 of the HCG diet plan can last anything between three and six weeks. During this phase, the dieter maintains a very low-calorie diet of 500 calories per day and takes HCG injections or drops every day. When the dieter follows the protocol down to the last detail, they will be able to see rapid weight loss within the first few days of the procedure.
In this article, we will discuss the HCG Diet Protocol Phase 2 in detail to help you understand how it works.
What is HCG Diet Phase 2 Plan?
First things first, this phase is divided into two components – taking HCG dose daily and maintaining a strict diet of 500 calories from permitted lists of food only. Let us now discuss the two components individually.
- Daily HCG Dose via injections, tablets, or drops
It completely depends on the dieter how they want to administer HCG. It could be in the form of injections, tablets, or even drops that must be taken every day. The injection dosage is defined by the medical professional that can be adjusted as per each individual’s personal preferences. Most dieters are able to see results with their prescribed dosages. However, there are some that need their dose to be adjusted to increase the rate of weight loss and to curb hunger pangs.
- 500 Calorie Diet
This is the second, equally important, component of HCG diet. According to Dr. Simeons, father of HCG diet, the individuals must consume no more than 500 calories and must only eat from the list of foods that are permissible in this protocol. This calorie intake must be combined with light exercises such as walking and yoga for optimum results.
Consuming 500 Calories
Some dieters often find it hard to finish their 500 calories per day when their bodies are supplemented with HCG. However, it is recommended that you consume the prescribed number of calories to keep your metabolism going and to prevent yourself from starving. It is also necessary to eat this much to keep your body’s normal cycle functioning properly. The idea behind restricting calories is to train yourself to feed your body for nourishment and good health.
List of Approved Foods for HCG Diet Phase 2
In this phase, you are allowed to eat the following foods in exact same quantities for maximum results.
Protein serving twice a day: 100gms of protein or 3.5 ounces with each serving is recommended. You must weigh your meat raw before preparing it. You must remove all the visible fat before cooking the meat. If you are weighing cooked meat, then the portion should not weigh more than 80 gms. Sources of protein include:
- 95% lean beef or fat-free
- Chicken breast
- Catfish, flounder, trout, sole, cod, red snapper, sea bass, tilapia, and halibut
- Fresh Crab
- 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg
- 100gms fat-free cottage cheese
There is no serving size for vegetables which means you can eat as many as you like. Vegetables allowed in this phase include:
- Beet Greens
The following fruits in specified portions are allowed at this stage:
- Apple, 1
- Orange, 1
- Grapefruit, ½
- A handful of strawberries
You can consume the following carbohydrates:
- Grissini Stick, 1 (Check for olive oil in ingredients and buy the one without oil)
- Melba Toast, 1
Other allowed foods allowed in this phase are:
- 1 lemon per day
- 1 TBSP milk per day
- Even though it is recommended to avoid sugars completely, you can use stevia as a sweetener
- Only consume pure spices such as parsley, thyme, sage, garlic etc.
HCG Diet Phase 2 Timeline
The phase 2 of HCG diet is the most complex stage of the process. It can go up to six weeks for some while others may only have to do it for three weeks. The duration of the diet depends on your personal preferences and also the form of HCG you are taking. The timeframe may also vary depending on how much weight you need to lose and how quickly. You should share your requirements with the expert for them to define the correct timelines.
Planned Interruptions in Phase 2
Dieters who have already taken 23 HCG injections can take planned interruptions. It usually starts when you have been on HCG diet for three weeks already. It is important to do this to avoid gaining weight while you are on a break. A planned interruption is when the dieter discontinues HCG with a 72-hour period of transition. This is essentially stage 3 of HCG diet that involves consuming a higher number of calories including fatty foods. However, you still need to steer clear of sugars and starch. This could mean consuming between 800 and 1600 calories per day, without overeating. When you end the planned interruption, you are not required to start from the reload phase. You can simply begin taking the injections again and resume the low-calorie diet routine.
The HCG Diet Phase 2 Plateaus
Dieters often aim to lose up to a pound every day when they are following HCG diet. But there are times when your body hits a highland where it stops losing any more weight. If you notice that your weight loss has stalled, then use the following tips to jumpstart the process again.
- You may be dehydrated. This is one the leading cause of plateau. If your body is not getting enough water, it cannot function optimally. Therefore, you experience a phase where you are unable to lose weight and maintain steady weight loss.
- Sometimes we get tempted to just bite into the foods that we love. Even though most of us think that that one bite doesn’t really matter, it does. It is often that this one bite is the reason why your weight loss has stalled. When you are on a very low-calorie diet, everything that goes into your body contributes to the results. Other common mistakes that people make in this phase is not weighing their food properly or buying foods outside the list. One look at the ingredients will reveal that these foods contain added sugars and starch that is interfering with your weight loss. This is the reason it is incredibly important to read the labels carefully and measure your food before buying and consuming. This additional step can stimulate your plateaued weight loss.
- Sometimes the HCG may not be doing the job it should. When you hit a plateau, it could be a sign that your dosage needs to be readjusted.
- It is also important to note that most weight is lost at the beginning of the process. As you get leaner, your weight loss will become slower.
Additional Tips for Dieting
- You are allowed to break your meals in this phase. Some dieters find it more fulfilling to eat just 3 meals a day rather than 5-6 small meals. Feel free to use the food strategy that feels best and most realistic.
- Even though sweeteners are a no-no on this diet, you can use stevia in moderation. Use the sweetener marginally so that it doesn’t interfere with your weight loss.
- Spread your food allowances throughout the day and avoid mixing them. For example, don’t eat two pieces of bread at the same time.