Arthritis comes in many shapes and sizes, and affects persons of all ages nowadays. The types of arthritis are usually defined as being that of rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis.
- Whichever type, any relief from the pain and inflammation is certainly a welcome part of any kind of treatment.
The best arthritis medicine is that which has the most beneficial effect on the patient. Due to individual reactions to medicines can differ, and because of the possible side effects, finding the best kind of arthritis medication can be somewhat difficult.
Recently, the efficacy of platelet rich plasma for arthritis, has been making headlines and is worth checking out.
Osteoarthritis is the most typical kind of arthritis, and is brought about by the overuse of joints, or by too much weight being placed upon them.
- Injuries suffered from different sports along with aging can bring on osteoarthritis, as can being heavier than average for long time periods.
As the cartilage between bones slowly breaks down, stiffness and pain happen when a joint is moved. The main aim of any osteoarthritis treatment is the relief of pain, and this is possible from a number of medical sources.
Medicine Commonly Used
- Analgesics such as acetaminophen are very commonly used as an arthritis pain reliever.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are also used and include naproxen and ibuprofen.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Causes
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) differs from osteoarthritis due to it being an autoimmune disease, instead of being caused by a wearing out of the joints. But it does happen that some people can suffer from both types concurrently and for reasons not understood by medical professionals the joints are almost the only area affected by RA.
- This breakdown of the immune system can generate more damage to the joints than osteoarthritis, as bring about other symptoms including fevers, loss of appetite, and tiredness.
Constantly swollen joints are also another common trait of those with RA, and happens in symmetrical patterns where if one hand is affected, so will the other one be too.
Further RA Affects
RA can also negatively one’s heart and lungs, and bring about skin rashes. Due to the difference in symptoms and causes between osteoarthritis and RA, different arthritis drugs are used for treating RA.
- Medicine known as Disease Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs) are able in many cases to treat symptoms of RA by altering the course of any inflammation, and even in some cases stop its advancement.
To obtain the very best results, DMARDs have to be put to use early on and used aggressively, because they can take a matter of months to work.
Corticosteroids, (AKA steroids) are also popular and are able to rapidly diminish swelling and inflammation in the joints and elsewhere. But a word of caution – they are very powerful and known for negative side effects when used continuously.
So, consult with a doctor to determine which medicine is best for your condition.